Frequently Asked Questions

  • As a homeowner, you may obtain permits if occupying the dwelling.
  • A homeowner may obtain a permit even if they are hiring a contractor to do the work, however, we recommend a contractor obtain the permit.   Contractors must be licensed to obtain permits.
  • The cost of every permit varies. Building permits are based on construction value and trade permits are based on the Line Items shown on this website
  • The exceptions: Re-roofs are $55; Swimming Pools are $75, and Pool Barriers are also $75.
  • Over the phone via credit card
  • In person via cash, check, or credit card
  • The permit holder is responsible for calling and requesting all required inspections.
  • All exterior footings and foundation systems must extend 42 inches below actual grade

The exceptions to this are:

  1. Protection of freestanding accessory buildings with an area of 600 square feet or less, of light frame construction, and with an eave height of 10 feet or less is not required.
  2. Protection of freestanding accessory buildings with an area of 400 square feet of less, of other than light frame construction, and with an eave height of 10 feet or less is not required.
  1. Decks not supported by a dwelling do not need footings which extend below the frost line.
  • All Final trade (Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing) inspections must be approved
  • Blower door test results must be submitted to SMBA (when applicable) contact the Building Official with questions
  • An Energy Compliance sticker on the service panel
  • All required handrails or guardrails must be installed
  • Exit signage and egress path markings (when applicable)
  • All required smoke/CO detectors, fire alarm systems, and fire suppression systems(when applicable) must be operational
  • Approved exterior address identification (characters must be at least 4 inches in height with a stroke width of at least 1/2 inch,)
  • All life safety and fire safety requirements must be met and operational for all portions of a structure to be occupied
  • All means of egress, guardrail, and handrail requirements must be met for all portions of a structure to be occupied
  • One operable bathroom and kitchen or food prep area must be completed (when applicable)
  • $1,000 bond posted with SMBA
  • Temporary Certificate of Occupancy is good for 30 days
  • New Construction
    • Footing (prior to pouring concrete)
    • Rebar (for poured walls, prior to pouring concrete)
    • Foundation (after waterproofing, prior to backfilling)
    • Residential Radon/Vapor Barrier (after installation of soil gas retarder, prior to pouring basement floor)
    • Commercial Vapor Barrier (sub slab-after all underground Mechanical, Electrical & Plumbing inspection is approved and prior to concrete being poured)
    • Framing Inspection of framing construction shall be made after the roof, all framing, fire-stopping, draft stopping, and bracing are in place and after the plumbing, mechanical, and electrical rough inspections are approved.
    • Masonry inspections shall be made after the completed installation of base course flashing as specified in Section R 703. 7.3 of the code and water-resistive barrier as specified in Section R 703.2 of the code and after the masonry construction is completed.
    • Energy Compliance (after insulation)
    • Final After Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing Approval

** These inspections apply to new construction, alterations, and additions to existing structures, and to all projects where the scope of work necessitates any of the required inspections.

  • Specific Projects
    • Pole Barn/Accessory Buildings
      • Footing — After holes are dug — If using precast pads or bag mix, materials are required to be on site at time of footing inspection.
      • Footing size is based on calculated load
      • Framing (if the interior is being finished)
    • Deck
      • Footing — After holes are dug
      • Framing (if underside of the deck framing will be concealed, a framing inspection is required prior to concealment)
      • Final — All required guardrail & handrail is in place
    • Swimming Pool & Pool Barrier
      • Final (be sure to get the Electrical Bonding Inspection before the cement slab is poured/underground gas line if applicable)
    • Re-Roofing
      • Underlayment – “Dry In” after ice & water shield / underlayment is installed, prior to shingles
      • Final
  • Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing – Trades
    • Rough inspections prior to concealment (including underground)
    • Final

Groundwork Kevin MacLeod (
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0

  • Through our office (You’ll get our ICC member pricing).  Contact us for details.
  • Directly from